Belt grinder build, part 2Continued from part 1
My initial idea was to make some sort of shaft with two universal joints to couple the motor to the lower wheel. But it turned out, the motors I wanted to use rotated clockwise (when looking at the shaft), and weren't reversible.
I briefly considered putting the motor behind the sander, with two pulleys. This would allow me to change the speed, but would also mean removing the drive belt to remove the sanding belt.
I decided to use this old washer motor, which has the feature of being able to run at 1750 and 1150 RPM (it has 4-pole and 6-pole windings).
To get the motor closer to the wheel, I figured some semi-flexible coupling would make more sense.
I made a yoke to fit on the shaft. I cut a key notch on one side of the hole with a jigsaw. A wood screw serves as the key. The nice thing about using a screw as a key is that it really locks the yoke in place, yet is easy to remove by unscrewing it.
You can also see the motor mount I'm making. A block attached to the studs sticking out of the front of the motor, and another block screwed to the back of the motor.
The yoke has two big rubber grommets mounted to it to engage with holes in the lower wheel. Precision is very critical for this sort of thing, so I was very careful laying it out, then drilling the holes.
I had reverse engineered how this motor is wired up and tested it before, but I took some of the connectors off the motor and put them back (incorrectly, it turns out) when I made the motor mounts.
In fact, the motor runs smoother and quieter at the higher speed.
I also ended up refining the mount for the idler wheel, cutting the mounts round and sanding the edges. There is a knob in the back that pushes the long piece forward, which pushes the shaft forwards and up in a slot for making tracking adjustments. I also added a knob to the end of the shaft to make it easier to pull out (for belt changes).
Now with a 1x42" sanding belt. I clamped a piece of wood in place to figure out how to mount the table, which needs to be able to tilt. I also have to figure out how to make a housing for it and how dust collection will work. Much to think about.
A panel will go on the right side, but it needs to have a hole big enough for the yoke to fit through. I used the yoke itself to mark the circle, then cut that out with a scroll saw.
The shape of this looks a bit like it could be a blower, but at these low RPMS and small diameter it really would not be effective enough to be worthwhile.
Also, I made a panel to fit on the front of the motor which closes off the panel at right when the motor is in place.
I cut a proper table and mounting bracket out of Baltic birch plywood, then clamped those two together and checked the fit to make sure the mounting bracket was in the right place.
I also cut a slot in the upper wheel mounts so that it's easier to take the upper wheel out when changing belts. Previously, I had to pull the axle out, but lining that up, with spacers on either side, when putting the belt back on was kind of annoying.
I also made a hookup for the dust port on the back. Just a 4" (10 cm) wooden pipe. It really doesn't need one that big, but a 4" plastic vent hose hose is quite flexible, so might as well use one of those. Those hoses are very flimsy, but cheap, so just right for this application.
And I cut more slots in the back of the column to hook the upper wheel mount onto for different belt lengths. One for 42", one for 48" and one for 72" long belts. I also have a threaded insert for each position to lock and tighten it.
Unfortunately, I could not find any 2x72" grinding belts locally, and the ones I ordered still have not arrived. But I found some 6x48" belts, so here I'm cutting one of those into 2" strips, using a little guide to help me run the knife 2" from the edge.
When I'm done with a 6x48" wood sanding belt on my belt sander there is usually at least one edge that is still good, so I will probably cut maybe 1.5" off the side of the belt to use on this sander.
That said, grinding drywall screws into oblivion is one of the more satisfying things to do. The high carbon steel makes for a LOT of sparks, and the screw gets red hot very quickly, at which point, it's soft to grind regardless of how much carbon the steel has.
But I don't know what I will use this sander as most. I kind of like the idea of having a really beefy strip sander, and I could use a strip sander for the basement workshop. I have the little 1x30" sander from Canadian Tire there now (the homemade strip sander is in the main workshop), but I don't like the 1x30 sander much anymore. It runs too fast, rattles a alot and spews dust everywhere.
That said, I still need a dedicated dust collector for this one, similar to the one for my belt sander. One small one for each machine so I don't have to open and close blast gates all the time.
Back to my woodworking website